Midwives for Mary


I recently went to the Brigham Young University Museum of Art and saw this beautiful Brian Kershisnik painting in real life with my daughters and my sister and her daughter. It really took my breath away because as I came around the corner, I didn't expect it to be mural sized. As I gazed at it closer I noticed things I hadn't seen before: the midwives. I love that Mary is breastfeeding baby Jesus and being cared for her by her attentive midwives. Of course that makes sense that she would have had midwives with her on her journey. Mary had midwives who were assisting her who were assisted by angels. I guess growing up I had never thought about that aspect. Their hands have blood on them as that also has symbolic meaning of who the Savior is to all of us. I also love that angels crowding in to get a glimpse of the new baby. On a lighter note, I love Joseph's classic expression of worry and weight that he must have felt. It is pretty amazing to be studying one of the oldest professions of time.

Comments

Popular Posts