AAUW GRANT RECIPIENT

I am so excited that I am a AAUW Grant recipient for 2017-2018. This grant is designed for a woman who has a bachelor's degree (me) but is changing careers and seeking more education (also me). Last fall, I felt like should apply for it but wasn't sure if I had a chance, but I worked on my application and submitted right before the deadline. Spring rolls around and I hadn't heard anything from their office. So I looked on the website and I was not a recipient. Fast forward a couple of months and I had a missed call from Washington D.C., I listened to the message and it was a little vague. So I kept trying to return the call with no luck. I finally got through and I was informed that the previous awardee declined the grant so I was next in line. I was floored. I was really struggling paying tuition at Midwives College of Utah and was trying to come up with ways to earn money to pay for it. I felt like this was heaven sent and it really gave me a boost that I am supposed to be doing what I am doing. I will just keep swimming.

My main motivation for doing what I am doing is for these two right here. I want their births to be different. I want them to be the center of the experience and to trust their beautiful bodies God gave them. I want them to feel empowered through birth. I have the courage to continue for my daughters. I look forward to being at their births of my grandchildren someday.




"Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers--strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner stregnth."
                                                   - Barbara Katz Rothman

Comments

Popular Posts