The Call



I am a social worker by definition. I went to a University received my BS degree in Psychology and took the Social Service Worker exam. I worked here and there between having children, usually working with women and children dealing with domestic violence, homelessness, and later women and girls facing eating disorders. Later, after my daughters were born, I decided to start a ballet studio because there was no dance available in the small town where we lived and there was a need for it, so I thought why not, and absolutely loved putting on my dancing shoes again. This is about the time when I received what many in the birth world deem "the call." I was teaching a women's group for my church and we were discussing preparing ourselves spiritually and temporally in our lives and I blurted out that I was going to learn midwifery! I had no idea where that came from and was shocked at hearing myself say it. Afterwards, a woman approached me and stated she knew what I was going to say before I said it. Well, I shelved that for quite a while and tried not to think about it much. But after another move for our family, I felt the tentacles returning...

I decided to make a call to my sister's midwife, who is a true blue midwife legend in my state, she suggested I take a doula training and see how that felt. So I did. I met amazing women who also feel inspired to work in the birth world. I also applied Midwives College of Utah and was accepted. It felt like jumping off a cliff taking the leap of faith to start school. After a few months, the tuition was really tough on my families budget so I was getting ready to quit when a miracle happened. A grant I applied for 6 months ago, (that is centered on women returning to the workforce after a break and changing careers, sounds perfect for me, right?) contacted me again. I had heard from them in the spring that I didn't get the grant, so I was a little discouraged at that time, but I received a call yesterday and they said I did receive it because someone else declined it so I have the opportunity to accept it. I am so grateful!! I am taking this as from God to continue and not quit. So I guess this means I will keep moving forward on my journey to becoming a midwife. 

Comments

Popular Posts